Monday, October 1, 2012

The Master Artist


Hello my friends,

You know, relationships are hard.  Whether they are personal, family, romantic, or any other kind, it is always hard.  We say things like, “I don’t like that kid, but I sure do love him,” or “I just miss you so much it hurts sometimes.”  Why do we put ourselves through the difficulty and pain of caring about people?  That answer to that question is the crux of why we exist.  “…men are that they might have joy.”  Despite of the pain and difficulty I cannot thing of a single place, thing, or idea that makes me happier than relationships.  The innocence of a child, a family prayer, a Sunday afternoon birthday party, they are all a part of our greatest memories.  I am so happy to have so many great friends, acquaintances, and family members.  The really bug me sometimes, but I don’t remember specific bad times, I can only recall the specifics of the good and great times.  I am so grateful to the Lord for allowing so many wonderful people into my life to lead and guide and love me.  I hope that we all value our family as deeply as they deserve, and if we don’t now, that we can learn to.

On a completely different note, on Saturday I went to a craft fair.  I love craft fairs, not because of the things to see, or the things to do, but because of the people you meet.  I really enjoy art and these people at these fairs have a talent, a skill, or an offbeat idea.  They become enthralled in their work, feeling their materials talking to them and they are able to make normal things amazing.  I can’t afford to buy many things at these events, and even if I could I don’t have space to store or display them, so for me, going to events like this is about the experience, not about the purchasing the amazing products.

One of the first booths we stepped into was filled with birdhouses.  They were made of gorgeous wood, stunning copper, and beautiful slate.  We walked in and there was no one inside, but as we looked around a bit a woman came over and started telling us a little bit about the artist, and then he walked up.  We asked him about his pieces and where he draws his inspiration.  His response was simple and magnificent, he said that all of his materials are recycled, the wood, the copper, and the slate, and he doesn’t design any of it, they talk to him and tell them what they should be made into.  He allows them to show him what they want to become, and he shaves some here, glues there, directing their growth into what they need to become, going from a rough piece of wood into a brilliant masterpiece.  When I referred to his art he said, “This isn’t art, it’s therapy.”

Are we not like the wood, and the Savior as our artist?  He sees the broken and twisted pieces that we are and He hears our prayers and wants to help us become something beautiful.  Sometimes he must shave back faults, and fortify our strength, but as he shapes us we truly get taken apart and then put back together into something new and wonderful.  That is what I think of when I see my grandfather.  He was not born into the church, but was converted when he was young man and after a lifetime of humility and church service he has become a masterpiece.  As with everyone on this earth, except for One, faults exist in all of us as long as we are here, but he is truly magnificent.

The quote of the day has a story attached.  President Hugh B. Brown once bought a plot of land with a currant bush that had grown wildly out of control.  He cut it down and shaped it.  Figuratively the bush asked him how he could cut her down while she was growing so well.  He responded, “Look, little currant bush, I am the Gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn’t intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.’”

I hope that you and I will be humble enough that when the Lord cuts off our rough edges, we will see the beauty of what we are becoming.

Love,

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment