Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Journal Excerpts from Brazil

Hey everyone,

Not much has happened this week, so instead of trying to come up with something witty or clever to say I’ll instead just copy some excerpts from my personal journal from while I was in Brazil.  For six weeks while I was in the CTM I wrote in my journal and have some things I had forgotten and they were beautiful experiences.  I should keep a journal better…

4/4/12 – “…The real thing I wanted to write about happened at my last meeting of the day.  The Second Counselor in the presidency of the CTM was talking about the rules.  When the presentation ended he asked for a volunteer to pray.  I felt a strong impression to volunteer, so I did.  I was introduced as Elder Bushman, gave my prayer and sat down.  Afterwards a man came up to me asking if I knew a Ken Bushman.  I answered that he was my father.  The man told me that he had been mission companions with Ken and that he was a truly great man.  What a small world it is but what a huge blessing for my personal life.” It was nice to hear some new things about Ken because I didn’t have the opportunity to get to know him very well before he died when I was 9.
4/11/12 – “…I love the Brazilians.  They are such a great people.  Our roommates are really funny and they work with us to learn more Portuguese.  I end up playing translator because my Portuguese and my deciphering skills are the best in our group.  It’s hard sometimes because at the end of the day all I want to do is to write in my journal, say a heartfelt prayer, and go to sleep, but I end up playing translator for half an hour.  I should be excited to help, but this is the only time I have to unwind.”
4/12/12 – “…Something really amazing happened to me tonight.  While we were having snack before bed we met some cool Argentinian Elders.  When we were done eating we started walking up the stairs.  I was humming and they told me to sing.  They followed me up the stairs, listening to me sing while clapping and walking to the beat.  The Spirit filled the stairwell and I felt really great.  It was a singular, unifying moment for all of us.”
4/21/12 – “I love my Brazilian roommates.  Tonight Elder Shipley got into an argument when he accidentally said he was going to steal and marry Elder Nunes fiancé.  I was laughing so hard.”
4/23/12 – “We were at snack and my Brazilian roommate is leaving tomorrow so we were taking pictures.  After the pictures I went to give Elder Nunes a hug.  He pulled me in tight and whispered in my ear asking me to sing.  His favorite song for me to sing is “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.”  As I began singing he pulled me tighter.  When I finished the verse we let go.  We both had tears in our eyes.  I truly have come to love that man.  I will miss him very much.  Even though he is leaving and I will miss him, at this moment my joy is absolutely full.”
I am so grateful for the opportunity that we have to look back on our lives and remember the beautiful moments.  In this life I will probably never see almost anyone that I knew in Brazil, but I will certainly carry them with me forever.  They have imprinted themselves on my heart and my life.
Love,
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment