Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dear Friends - I Miss You So Much

Dear friend,
I’ve known you for more than two years.  I met you in a place that I expected to be spiritually blessed but I ended up gaining so much more than that.  You’ve been there for me in my lowest moments, and you’ve rejoiced with me in my highest ones.  I don’t see you very often but because of what you’ve taught me I’ll always have you with me.  You’re getting ready to move on with your life and you’re about to embark on the greatest adventure you can imagine.  You challenge me to be a better person and you remind me of the spiritual things that I sometimes forget.  You show me miracles in the most common of places.  Having known you I see blessings in places I would’ve missed them before and I know that I’m a better person.  We’ve been on a road trip together and I even had to drive you home while you slept in the car.  You drove me to the airport when I had no other way to get there.  You brought me lasagna just because your family had extra.  I’m so glad I know you.  You truly have helped me become the man I am. 
I miss you so much,
Tyler

Dear friend,
You’re gone now.  You’re serving a mission and setting a wonderful example for me.  We carpooled to choir every week for almost a year and we talked about everything from girls to death to education and everything else you can imagine.  You asked me the most ridiculous questions and gave me the most profound answers.  You didn’t knock at our house when the door was unlocked because you knew you were always welcome.  You’ve had more peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches in my house than anyone that’s not in my family.  When I needed a wingman you were more than willing, and when I needed a friend because I had to go to an awkward social event you accompanied me.  You sent me my first Transfer Planner pre-decorated so that I could go into the mission field with my own bling.  You have taught me so much about being a man.  You truly are my brother and you will always be my friend.
I miss you so much,
Tyler

Dear friend,
You’d sat next to me for 6 months and never spoken to me more than a couple of angry words (I learned later you weren’t angry you just didn’t like me).  One day you turned and shot me a huge smile and started talking to me like we were best friends.  It didn’t take very long before we were best friends.  I don’t know why you decided that I was worth talking to or when you realized you didn’t dislike me, but I’m glad you did.  My house became a safe place for you to get away from all the other crazy stuff in your life.  You felt safe and comfortable when you were with my family and me and in return you allowed me to make you feel safe.  You would come over when you were stressed and I’d calm you down, or we’d go out just because we could and everything was easy when we were together.  You’ve moved now and I won’t get to see you very many more times before our lives might take separate paths.  There is a chance that our lives will connect again, but I fear the worst.  Promise not to forget me when I’m gone and I promise I’ll remember what you’ve taught me and be a better person for it.
I miss you so much
Tyler

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete