Monday, September 10, 2012

Happiness

Hey readers,

It has come to my attention that some people think that I am fighting depression or having other emotional problems.  I would like you all to know that is not the case.  I am truly glad that some of you out there who experience those challenges have been able to connect to my words and find inspiration and strength.  I will explain how I created my sense of well-being, and hope that others can find happiness through this pattern as well.  I understand that what I will say sounds a lot easier than it is. I am not brushing off legitimate health conditions, but know that I have been through this process, fought my demons, and come out victorious.

When I was 14 I was taught that each day is a new day.  It doesn't matter what happened yesterday, happens today, or will happen tomorrow, because today can be its own.  There are many people in the world who believe that "other people" are happy because they have money, or that doing things or going places that makes “those people” happy.  It is really true that the greatest joys are found in the family, but that doesn't mean those joys come without work.  Believe it or not, true and consistent happiness is hard; it's one of the hardest things in life to find and I believe it is every person's goal.  I suppose that in the end, that is exactly what makes it so wonderful when you achieve a state of real happiness.

From the time I was 14 until I was about 16 I woke up every morning and decided to be happy.  I didn't decide that something or someone was going to make me happy today, but that I would be happy no matter what.  With a smile on my face and a willing heart I faked through it every day.  Eventually I realized that I wasn't faking it and the smile was real.  I was happy.  After years of hurting every day, and then several months of feeling nothing, I was now actually happy.  A lot of the time.  I worked on this until I was 16.  I built friendships that are still meaningful today with a great group of people, and friends I had during middle school continued to become better friends.  My life was great.

One day I realized that I was so happy that I was being selfish; I wasn't sharing my inner joy with people as effectively as I should.  I would share it with my attitude, and when I talked to people one-on-one I could describe it to them, but that wasn't enough.  I needed to dig deeper and try harder to make the people around me understand.  I began developing habits of waving to strangers, smiling at people who looked sad, and finding specific kind things to say to people on a personal level.  I served people more and became so much happier than I'd ever been.  I was always filled with a manic energy and I could not contain myself.

While growing up I have had several difficult experiences and things that have shaken my foundation.  I am now so much quieter than I was before that some people have mistaken my calmness for unhappiness, but that is not the case.  You can be silent and contemplative, but still feel a deep burning joy.  The keys to being happy all of the time, even during very difficult experiences, is to 1) choose to be happy, 2) share your joy with others, and 3) work at it.  The best things in life don't come free or easy, but they do come.

I love you all and am so grateful that you take the time to read my blog.  It means the world to me that I can share something with you that is so dear to my heart.

The quote of the day is from an unknown source of wisdom: "When I was in grade school, they told me to write down what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I wrote down happy.  They told me I didn't understand the assignment; I told them they didn't understand life."  Happiness is a goal, a difficult, wondrous, and extremely powerful thing, but a goal nonetheless.  Seek after it and work at it, and you can be truly happy in everything you do.

Peace, joy, and love,

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment