Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Blog's Title

Lately I've seen several of my friend's blogs and lots of them have some wonderful things in them.  I'm terrible at keeping a journal because I always think "No one's ever gonna read this so why does it matter?"  I decided that my blog would be my journal so I hope you enjoy it.

I spent about a half hour looking around my room trying to think of good titles.  I wanted it to be clever, but not too clever.  I wanted it to be catchy, memorable, and above all I wanted it to mean something to me, and anyone who reads it, so the name of my blog is "Today's Shadow."  It means - No matter what happened yesterday, good or bad, it's in today's shadow.

When I was 14 years old I was struggling with many facets of my life: social, emotional, family...etc.  I talked to a close family friend and he told me about a centuries old political philosophy that I could apply to my own life.  He said "Tabula Rasa."  Latin for "Clean Slate."  He told me that everyday when I woke up I could forget about everything that has ever happened in my past that has been bad and have clean slate.  Each morning I could have a good day, a fresh day, regardless of anything else that was going on in my life.  If I chose to be happy I could be.  I now live my life that way.  I wake up each morning with a smile on my face, keep a smile there all day, and fall asleep the same way.  My life is not easy, in fact it is very difficult, as are all lives, but I have chosen to be happy and face my trials with joy and so I am happy.

No matter what is happening in your life right now, always remember "Tabula Rasa," but you never have to remember "Today's Shadow."  Today is a new day.  Run into it.  Embrace this new day.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Tyler! I'll enjoy reading your blog I'm sure. This is great insight. I always try to remind myself that tomorrow is a new day and I can try, try again. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, you have such a natural flow to your writing! I really enjoyed reading your blog! I love it!

    ReplyDelete